If you are new to cooking vegan foods and feel lost, you’re not alone. There are plenty of dishes that you can cook that that don’t require the use of meat or anything that is considered non-vegan. If you are looking for a starting point for vegan cooking, this is the place.
This brief guide will show you where to start with your vegan lifestyle so you can be able to know which foods will be incorporated with your new diet. And the best part is that you can often save time by using a pressure cooker, as they can be used for many recipes.
If you are planning on developing some awesome culinary skills of the vegan kind, read on.
Get to know veganism
First and foremost, it’s always a good idea to learn about veganism and its benefits. It’s better to dive into something you have basic knowledge about than knowing nothing at all.
Here are some tips that will help you get started with educating yourself about veganism:
- The benefits of veganism may be favorable for those who want to live a healthier lifestyle. It may ward off the likelihood of such health issues like cardiovascular disease and some cancers.
- Veganism is a great way for those who want to practice “ethical eating”. Meaning they swear off anything like meat or poultry. Vegan = non-animal products.
- A vegan lifestyle can also be linked to a more sustainable environment. So if you are all about living the “green” life, veganism may be a contribution to the lifestyle.
Changing your diet
One of the biggest things about living a vegan lifestyle is what you need to get rid of from your pantry and what you need to put in. Here are some tips on how you can adopt a vegan diet.
- Know what’s on the menu and what’s not. Obviously, animal-based products are not on the menu. What’s on the menu includes but are not limited to: whole grain, legumes, beans, nuts, tofu, seeds, etc.
- With the above mentioned foods, it’s important to know about the vital facts about them. How are they properly stored? What is the average shelf life?
- Search for vegan recipes online and experiment with them. From there, you can be able to try and incorporate the new ingredients that you can get from your local grocery or health food store.
- Since milk is considered an animal product, it’s time to find non-dairy alternatives. Almond or soy will likely be your best choices. Silk Milk and the like are mostly available in regular grocery stores.
- If you don’t feel like cooking, you can always go out to eat. Find out if there are vegan-friendly restaurants in your area that you can frequent. The more options you have, the better
Vegan cooking tips
Now that you have a good idea of what to eat, now it’s time to learn some vegan cooking tips that you should take to heart. If you want to delve into a new world of cooking, check out these tips below:
- Cooking vegetables can be a challenge. However, there are alternative ways to go about doing it. Try using a pressure cooker. Not only will they taste better than other methods, but the texture will be soft, easy to eat, and all-around enjoyable.
- If there are some old dishes that you loved before switching to a vegan lifestyle, find a way to give it a creative, vegan- friendly twist. There are bound to be some recipes that make great alternatives to what you used to eat.
- Spend some time researching recipes and saving some that interest you. There is nothing more inspiring than finding a dish that you want to try out for yourself. Oh…and if you eat at a vegan-friendly restaurant, you can always find inspiration in making the dish you ordered for yourself. Either way, it’s always fun to play around and let your culinary creativity go wild.
- Speaking of recipes, you don’t have to always go by the book. If you want to add some creative flair to it, go for it. Some of the rules of vegan cooking were made to be broken. Even barbeque is possible!
- Non-stick pans are a must for vegan cooking. There are plenty of ingredients that will have a habit of sticking to a regular pan. If there is one more thing to get rid of other than animal products, it’s those pans that tend to make cooking unbearable because of stick food.
- Spice it up with some spices of your choice. You can never go wrong with curry, turmeric, and any other spice that gives your vegan dishes that extra kick.
- Start with the basic dishes first before moving on with other recipes. You’ll need to start somewhere so you have a better understanding of how vegan cooking works.
If you are new to vegan cooking, there is no reason not to get excited about it. You’ll open the door to a whole new lifestyle. Plus, you’ll learn a thing or two about cooking vegan-friendly meals that you can enjoy.
If you are looking to get rid of animal products from your diet and want to live the vegan lifestyle, knowing how to cook vegan dishes will give you a leg up and open the door to a wide variety of choices on what to eat. Don’t limit yourself to some options when you can let your creative mind decide what’s for lunch or dinner.